Friday, October 12, 2012

still-sound 114. Broomcorn



I saw these strange, black flowers at Trader Joe's the other day.  I couldn't resist them.  They're called broomcorn.  I like plants that are called broom.  Ginestra is also known as broom although I don't believe it is related to the gothic stalks currently arranged in my test tube vase. 

They have a distinct scent.  Like curry, or celery.

When I got home I wish that I had picked up another bunch to give my neighbors Tiff and Tom.  Tiff sometimes leaves gluten-free cakes by my door when she's spent the afternoon baking.  I show my appreciation by leaving them flowers in a mason jar.  They would have particularly liked these inky, curry-smelling brushes. 

Tom is a drummer and just got back from a tour with a band that opened for a famous '90s grunge act.  The singer is known equally for his drug addiction as for his manly singing style.  During the tour, Tom was able to hang out with the now-clean rock star -- who convinced himself during their chat that Tom was, in fact, an undercover FBI agent.

No comments:

Post a Comment