Sunday, May 26, 2013

still-sound 171. Penelope Tree

*


Recently at 1642, my favorite bar, I saw a girl who looked like Penelope Tree.  She was with some other girls at the table next to mine.  I pointed her out to my friends and found a picture of the 60s model on my phone to compare.  My friends urged me to show her.

I leaned over and spoke to Penelope's friend since Penelope was too busy chatting with someone else.  I said "Your friend looks like Penelope Tree."  I showed her the picture on my phone.  She laughed and showed it to Penelope herself.  She responded by holding her hands together while clutching her hair, imitating the model in the photo.  We all laughed.  

My guess is that my observation wasn't a big surprise to her.  One doesn't come to resemble Penelope Tree by accident.  

*I believe that this photo was taken by Richard Avedon.  When I was a little kid I used to peruse my father's photography books.  He had one that featured the great fashion photographers - Avedon, Helmut Newton, David Bailey...all of my favorites.  The pictures of Penelope Tree were striking.  Beautiful and a little disturbing.  My favorite combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment